Do you feel as if life is chaotic around you? Is your home filled with televisions that are blaring, computers and smartphones notifying you of emails when they are received, and children running around being, well, children? At work, are you constantly bombarded with co-workers and colleagues coming into your work area, ringing phones, humming copiers, and all sorts of other distractions too numerous to mention?
Unfortunately, most of us live in this type of world. In fact, has become rather commonplace to be engaged in several things at once, pulled in all sorts of directions, and never quite feeling like something has your complete attention. Especially when it comes to yourself.
Negative Effects of Chaotic Environments
Constantly living in this type of environment can take its toll on you. It can make you feel harried and stressed, barely able to hear yourself think. This has the ability to not only affect your quality of life, but it can also affect your health.
Stress manifests itself in everyone differently. Some people get upset stomachs and are unable to eat, others reach for food for comfort, gaining more and more weight as their external struggles continue to grow. Some get high blood pressure and heart palpitations and others feel an achiness in their neck and shoulders since that is where they tend to carry their stress when they are way too tense and don’t adequately relieve the pressure.
Living in chaos can also stop you from knowing who you are and what you want because you are so busy with everything and everyone else around you that you don’t take the time to assess your own situation. For example, you may realize that you are unhappy or unfulfilled but you don’t know why. Maybe you’ve lost your passion for work or your relationships have seemed to be emotionless lately, making you wonder what you’re doing with your life.
Being Calm Despite Your Environment
Luckily, there are things you can do to learn how to be calm and introspective despite what all that is going on around you. With a little bit of practice, you can effectively drown out the world that you live in, at least long enough to get to know yourself and what you want out of life.
Here are some steps you can follow in order to achieve this goal:
- Step #1: Go someplace without distractions. Send the kids to the sitters to make the house quiet or go to the library and find a corner with no one in it. Turn off televisions, radios, computers, smartphones, tablets, and anything else that has the capability of drawing your attention.
- Step #2: Close your eyes and let your thoughts go. Don’t worry about controlling where your mind goes at first, just let it wander from subject to subject. Withhold judgment and emotion and be an objective observer, almost as if you are watching a documentary or film of someone else’s life.
- Step #3: Think about what makes you happy. Once you’ve allowed your mind unlimited travels, bring it back to what makes you happy. Consider the things, people, and events that you have passion for as you learn more about yourself, searching inward for the things that motivate and inspire you.
- Step #4: Question yourself freely and openly. Again, without judgment, ask yourself questions about the things that bring you the most joy. Figure out how they are missing from your life and brainstorm what you can do to bring them back. Don’t dismiss an idea because it seems impossible or too hard. You want to consider all of your options at this stage.
- Step #5: Create a plan. Now that you know what is missing or what you want more of and have some ideas as to how to get it, now is the time to open your eyes and put pen to paper, creating a plan that will make it happen. Consider the steps necessary to get you from where you are now to where you want to be.
- Step #6: Take action. At this point, you are ready to take your plan and put it into action. This is perhaps the most important part of the process as this is what turns dreams into reality and hopes into truths.
Follow these six steps and you will find yourself and discover what you want out of life. And you will make it happen. What do you say? Are you ready to go?